A design is a protection that applies to a product’s external features, i.e. its shape, lines, contours, colours, texture, material or ornamentation. A design can be three-dimensional (the shape of a car, a mobile phone, a couch, a vase) or two-dimensional (a pattern, a drawing).
Obtaining a design requires filing for a registration in the territory where protection is sought, and is highly recommended. You will then be able to prohibit third parties from producing or using your design or one similar to your registered design.
To obtain protection, a design should be new and have an individual character.
How Can We Help ?
- Advice on the registrability of your design
- Advice on the availability of your design
- Preparation of a filing strategy that takes your specific needs into account
- Prosecution of your design’s registration with the authorities
- Representing you before BOIP, INPI, EUIPO and WIPO
- Prosecution of your design’s registration in foreign jurisdictions through our network of selected associates
- Management and optimization of your design portfolio
- Handling of your design’s renewal and administrative aspects during its effective life
- Defence of your interests in case of refusals and cancellations resulting from actions of third parties or the authorities.
- Defence of your interests in case of infringement of your design
- Assistance with customs and border protection
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements (licensing, distribution, coexistence, etc.)
- Performance of administrative and strategic portfolio audits
- Assessment of the monetary value of your design portfolio